12 commandments of lipsticks application
By Patricia Uyeh
Beauty expert, Tara Fela Durotoye was quoted to have said that one of the industries that would never be hit by recession is the beauty industry. This is because looking good is good business. More so, women would always want to look good no matter what. Make up accentuates a woman’s beauty. One of the surest way to add glam to your make up, is to apply the right lipstick for your skin tone. Lipsticks do wonders. It lights up the face and it lifts a woman’s spirit. Having said that, it is important to draw the line between painting ones face and proper application of lipsticks. Below are few tips and tricks to guide you when applying lipsticks:
1. Don’t play with your eyes and lips at the same time. If you want to wear a bold-coloured lip stick, then keep the rest of your makeup light. If you’re playing with your eyes, then stick to a lip gloss or light colored lipstick.
2.To achieve a plump lip look devoid of fillers, ensure you apply liner outside your natural lip line, then dab a bit of gloss in the middle of your bottom lip and smack lips together and you are good to go.
3. Remember that the best lipstick shade is a shade or 2 darker than your natural lip colour.
4. There is no right way to apply a lipstick. While some people prefer applying it from the tube, others prefer a lipstick brush. You even find some women even prefer using their middle finger, just choose the one that’s right for you.
5. Your lipstick will last longer if you fill in your lips with a lip liner first. The lip liner acts like a base for the lipstick, this even works for lip gloss as well as the gloss has something to stick to.
6. Ensure that your liner matches the lipstick or gloss. Dark liner and light lips is a no-no.
7. Rather than throw out a lip stick shade that you don’t like, keep them and blend them in with other shades, you would be surprised at the outcome.
8. To avoid lipstick stain on your wine glass, the next time you’re out on a date, discreetly lick your lips lightly before taking a sip. It works every time
9.To prevent that embarrassing lipstick stain on your teeth, after applying lipstick, pop your index finger in your mouth, then pull it out. The excess lipstick will come off on your finger rather than your teeth.
10. Your lipstick can double as the perfect blush for your face. Just dab a few dots on the apples of your cheeks and blend. Always moisturize first so that the lipstick blends properly.
11. As we grow older, do you know that our lips tend to thin out? To avoid reinforcing the thin lip look, avoid dark lip stick shades, matte and gloss and sticks with creamy lipsticks
12.Do not throw away broken lipstick. Instead have the bottom heated over a candle or match till it’s a bit melted. Then put it back in the base and ensure it is seated properly, put it uncovered in the fridge for about thirty minutes. Voila! You are good to go!
Photo credit: www.beautysouthafrica.com