Effect of abuse in any relationship
Relationship abuse is so prevalent that roughly 33% of women and 25% of men experience abuse in their life time. The effect of these abuses in relationship are most times adverse and traumatizing.
Abuse in relationship is when a partner uses force, coercion, threat or blackmail to control the others activities thereby influencing their decision about the relationship.
Almost anyone can become a victim of relationships abuse, educated, illiterate, rich or poor.
Affects both sexes but the commonly reported cases are that of the women folks.
Vast majority of victims are simply unaware of the dangers of such relationships while others are mislead to believing its a normal thing.
There are several ways one can be abused in a relationship.
Could be verbal abuse, physical abuse, sexual abuse, emotional abuse and financial abuse.
Some of the effects of abuse in a relationship are as follows.
- Low Self Esteem/worth:Most victim after leaving an abusive relationship feels they are no better. They tend to think so low of themselves and believe the failure of the relationship is simply her fault.
- Fear of relationship:After an ugly experience, it’s normal to see people become cautious about repeating same mistake. Some times they might seem very selective.
- Withdrawal:We all handle things differently, some victims after an abusive relationship becomes withdrawn from almost everything. Social gatherings, outing with others and anything that is likely to remind them of what they went through.
- Depression /Anxiety; In adverse situation, abuse victims go into depression. Worry mostly about the opportunities and good things they lost since being in the relationship. This bitterness leads to suicidal thoughts if the individual is not closely watched by loved once and family.
- Addiction to hard drugs: in search of a little ray of hope and sunlight back into their lives, some victims resort to drugs and eventually becomes addicted.
No one deserves to be treated less and unfair in a relationship that is meant to build and take one to greater height.
But if this has happened already, the best way to healing from it is by talking to professionals or loved one who can help you recover.