Nigerian Coconut Rice Recipe
- Wash the rice until the water is clear. I usually wash mine for about 4-5 times. This is very important in order to reduce the starch and avoid ending up with mushy rice. If your rice ends up mushy, you will not enjoy it, so this step is very crucial.
- Cut all veggies into cubes with kitchen knife and set aside.
- Wash the chicken or any other type of meat. Season and cook until tender. You can further fry, grill, or roast them.
How To Cook Coconut Rice
- On a medium heat, heat up vegetable oil and add the onions to sauté.
- Add the salt, ginger, garlic and the seasoning cubes.
- Add the chicken stock and the coconut milk, cover, and allow to boil for about 5 minutes.
- Now, add the washed rice to the boiling chicken stock & coconut milk.
- Cover with foil paper and let it cook in less than medium heat (steam) until soft and well cooked.
- Check after about 30 minutes to see if it’s well cooked. A little quantity of water can be added if need be.
- Add the sliced spring onions and cover to steam for another five minutes, then take it away from the heat.
- In another deep pan, add vegetable oil and fry the veggies one after the other (carrots, green beans, prawns, gizzard, onions) and set them aside.
- In the same deep pan, add the veggies bit by bit and also add some cooked rice in bits and mix them together. Repeat this process until everything is well mixed.
- Cover and allow to simmer for about three minutes.
- Then your coconut rice is ready!
- Can you perceive the goodness already?
- Serve hot with any protein and cold drink of your choice.