Ghanaian footballer discovered alive in Turkey’s earthquake rubble
The Ghana Football Association has announced that the international football star, Christian Atsu, has been located alive in a rubble and is in “stable condition” at a nearby hospital following the earthquake in southern Turkey on Monday.
The Ghanaian FA posted on Twitter; “We’ve received some positive news that Christian Atsu has been successfully rescued from the rubble of the collapsed building and is receiving treatment. Let’s continue to pray for Christian.”
Atsu was safely pulled from the wreckage of a fallen building, according to his agent Nana Sechere, who told CNN that his client was in a “stable” condition at a nearby hospital. After the earthquake, Atsu’s whereabouts were not immediately known.
Following the earthquake that struck southern Turkey on Monday, the Ghana Football Association and agency reported that the international football player Christian Atsu had been found alive in the rubble and was in “stable condition” at a local hospital.
The Ghanaian FA announced on Twitter that Christian Atsu had been successfully pulled from the wreckage of the collapsed building and was being treated. Let’s keep offering up prayers for Christian.
Since the horrific quake that devastated Aleppo on February 6Since the devastating earthquake struck Aleppo on February 6, 2023, rescue workers from Syria searched for fatalities and survivors in the wreckage of the collapsed building.
Following the deaths of more than 2,000 citizens in Syria as a result of a 7.8-magnitude earthquake in neighboring Turkey that has over 8,000 casualties already, the Syrian government pleaded with the international world to assist them.
Atsu, who plays for Hatayspor in Turkey, had been celebrating on Sunday night after he scored a last minute winner in his club’s 1-0 home league game against Kasimpasa, his agent said.
“There were lots of reports out of England and Ghana that Christian was safe, but the first official confirmation I had was on Tuesday morning,” Sechere said.
“I was told by the club that he was in hospital and that he is stable. He doesn’t have his phone and, like all of us, he can’t remember his numbers by heart so I have to continue to wait to speak to him.
He continued; “The last I’d heard from Christian was midnight. I was hoping he was awake and that the earthquake hadn’t happened while he was sleeping.
“His building was an 11-story building and he was on the ninth floor. The club officials were trying to help me find him, but it was so hard because, understandably, they were trying to find their own friends and families as well,” he added.
“But I even remember when he signed for Hatayspor and we went to the hospital for a medical. Even then it was busy with people queuing and people on the floor. So I can only imagine what it is like with this situation.
Atsu’s former club Everton said on its official Facebook page: “We are relieved to hear Christian Atsu has been successfully rescued and is recovering in hospital. Our thoughts continue to be with everyone affected by the earthquakes in Turkey and Syria.”
Atsu had previously represented top English clubs such as Chelsea, Everton, Bournemouth and Newcastle.