Agency refuses to hand over accident images of Prince Harry, wife
The photo agency responsible for capturing images of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex during a reported dangerous car chase, Backgrid, has refused to comply with a legal demand to hand over the photos.
The incident, which took place in New York on Tuesday night, has sparked conflicting accounts and raised questions about the couple’s safety.
The California-based entertainment picture agency confirmed that it had received a letter from the Sussexes’ legal team demanding copies of all the photos, videos, and films taken after the couple left their event and throughout the following hours.
In a tongue-in-cheek response, the agency’s lawyers highlighted the rejection of “royal prerogative” in America and stated that property belongs to its owner, emphasizing the country’s commitment to individual rights.
The Agency said; “In America, as I’m sure you know, property belongs to the owner of it: Third parties cannot just demand it be given to them, as perhaps Kings can do.
“Perhaps you should sit down with your client and advise them that his English rules of royal prerogative to demand that the citizenry hand over their property to the Crown were rejected by this country long ago.
“We stand by our founding fathers.”
While New York police acknowledged that numerous photographers made the couple’s journey challenging, they reported no collisions, summonses, injuries, or arrests.
A taxi driver briefly involved in the pursuit commented that the couple’s spokesperson’s account may have been exaggerated, and some photographers involved have denied parts of it.
The tension between the Royal Family and the British media over privacy is well-known, and in the UK, there is no royal prerogative.
Meanwhile, Backgrid, has initiated an investigation into the conduct of the four freelance photographers who were involved in capturing images of the Sussexes.
The agency asserts that the couple was never in immediate danger, contrary to their portrayal of the incident.
Prince Harry has previously expressed his anger toward the paparazzi, drawing parallels between their actions and the treatment of his late mother, Princess Diana.
He condemned the photographers as “a pack of dogs” and has been vocal about the need to protect the safety and well-being of public figures.
Prince Harry said in the recent Netflix documentary, Harry & Meghan, “To see another woman in my life, who I love, go through this feeding frenzy – that’s hard.”
While the Duke and Duchess of Sussex understand the public’s interest in their lives, they maintain that it should never come at the expense of anyone’s safety.
The tragic death of Princess Diana in a car crash while being pursued by paparazzi in Paris serves as a haunting reminder of the potential dangers inherent in such situations.
As the controversy surrounding the car chase continues, the debate over privacy, media ethics, and the responsibilities of both public figures and photographers remains at the forefront.