Soccer star, Cheik Tiote dies aged 30
By Rita Chioma,
Former Newcastle star Cheick Tiote died at 30 yesterday, Monday, June 5, 2017.
The midfielder Cheick Tiote died after collapsing in Beijing.
His agent, Emanuele Palladino confirmed the news on Monday afternoon, saying: “I confirm that my client Cheick Tiote passed away today after collapsing in training with his club, Beijing Enterprises.”
However, here are seven things you did not know about late footballer, Cheik Tiote;
1. As a promising player, Tiote played street football as a barefoot child and could not afford a pair of football boots until he was 15.
2. In 2011, while being hampered from playing for Newcastle due to a knee injury, Tiote got permission from Magpies owner, Mike Ashley to return to the Ivory Coast to see a witch-doctor.
The midfielder was struggling with fluid on his right knee which was causing him pain and restricting his movement.
3. In Tiote’s first two seasons with Newcastle he collected 25 yellow cards in 50 Premier League games – as well as three in four African Cup of Nations matches in 2012.
4. Generous Tiote scored the first penalty in the 8-7 final shoot-out defeat to Zambia but was so devastated by the defeat he handed his runners-up medal to a friend.
5. In 2013, Tiote dodged a prison trip after he was caught with a fake driving license
The Judge let him off, saying “I have no doubt that, using your considerable talent, you will be able to assist others in the community by encouraging them and passing on your skills that way.”
6. In 2014, Tiote’s agent defended his decision to have two wives after it emerged he had one in Newcastle and another in the Ivory Coast.
Jean Musampa said: “I can say that he did get married and that it is his second marriage. This is nothing unusual. He is a Muslim.”
7. Tiote teamed up with Nigerian fashion designer, Yusuf Abubakar in 2014 to launch a clothing line called TIC.