Motherhood : Benefits of breastfeeding for both mothers and their babies
Breastfeeding is the act of feeding a child with breast milk, it’s advised that mothers feed their babies exclusively for 6 months.
It’s a choice every mother has to make but if you are caught thinking why you need to breastfeed your child.
This post will make you realize the benefits that comes with breastfeeding for yourself and your infant.
Breast milk provides optimal nutrient a baby needs and it’s easily digested when compared to formulas.
Benefit of breastfeeding for the baby
1. Breast milk contains everything your baby needs for the first six months of life, with the possible exception of vitamin D. The first milk is thick, rich in protein and loaded with beneficial compounds.
2. Breast milk contains important antibodies.
Breast milk is loaded with antibodies, especially immunoglobin A, which can help prevent or fight illness in your baby.
3. Breastfeeding may reduce disease risk
Breastfeeding may reduce your baby’s risk of infections and many diseases, including allergy, celiac disease and diabetes.
4. Breast milk promotes a healthy weight.
Breastfed babies have lower obesity rates than formula-fed babies. They also have more leptin and more beneficial gut bacteria.
5. Breastfeeding may make children smarter.
Breastfeeding may affect your baby’s brain development and reduce the risk of future behavior and learning problems.
Benefits of breastfeeding for the mother
1. Breastfeeding increases oxytocin production, a hormone that causes contractions in the uterus.
It reduces blood loss after delivery and helps the uterus return to its previous smaller size.
2. Breastfeeding mothers are less likely to develop postpartum depression.
They have increased amounts of oxytocin in their system, which encourages caregiving, relaxation and bonding between mother and child.
3. Breastfeeding saves time and money. By breastfeeding, you don’t have to worry about buying or mixing formula, warming up bottles or calculating your baby’s daily needs.
If you are unable to breastfeed, the right formulas can still give the same nutrients to your baby as would breast milk.