7 health problems associated with sitting for long hours
By Patricia Uyeh
Perhaps you belong to the groupof people who have a sedentary lifestyle because of the nature of their work; after exchanging greetings and pleasantries with co-workers when you get to the workplace, you go to your seat and stay glued until closing time.
Then it might interest you to know that there are certain health problems associated with this sedentary lifestyle. They include:
1. Stiffness of the neck and shoulders
2. According to research, people who sit for too long are vulnerable to diabetes. Sitting for too long increases insulin resistance which results to diabetes.
3.Sitting for too long can make the hips tight and contract. It can causes discomfort around the hips.
4. Sitting for long hours can make the brain ineffective. It also results to fatigue, lack of motivation and migraine.
5. Running, walking , exercises generally strengthens the bones and body, sitting for long hours does the reverse, it weakens the bones and body.
6. Sitting for long increases risk of cancer.
A German meta-analysis concluded that people who sat for the longest period each day were 24 percent more likely to develop colon cancer than those who took breaks.
7. It can result to Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT) ,which is a condition where the blood clot develops within a deep vein in the body, usually in the leg. When part of this clot breaks off, it can block the flow of blood to other parts of the body such as your lungs. This is quite risky and life threatening.
Photo credit: DepositPhotos