Healthy breakfast ideas you might want to try
Cut down on prep time and food waste with these delicious breakfast recipes meant for one. Whether you start your day cooking something fresh and filling or set yourself up for success with a make-ahead meal, there’s something tasty for you.
Raspberry-peach-mango smoothie bowl
This healthy smoothie recipe is a gateway to the smoothie-bowl craze. Use whatever fruit, nuts and seeds you like best to make it your own. Be sure to use frozen fruit in Step 1 to yield a creamy, frosty base for the toppings.
- 1 cup frozen mango chunks
- ¾ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup reduced-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ ripe peach, sliced
- ⅓ cup raspberries
- 1 tablespoon sliced almonds, toasted if desired
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened coconut flakes, toasted if desired
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- Combine mango, yogurt, milk and vanilla in a blender. Puree until smooth.
- Pour the smoothie into a bowl and top with peach slices, raspberries, almonds, coconut and chia seeds to taste.
Low carb bacon and broccoli egg burrito
Instead of wrapping up eggs in a tortilla for a classic breakfast burrito, we’re wrapping up veggies and bacon in a tortilla made out of eggs. Just whip up an easy omelet and nestle your cooked veggies inside to slash the carbs in this healthy, gluten-free burrito.
- 1 slice bacon
- 1 cup chopped broccoli
- ¼ cup chopped tomato
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon reduced-fat milk
- 1 scallion, sliced
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon canola or avocado oil
- 2 tablespoons shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- Cook bacon in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat, turning once or twice, until crisp, 4 to 6 minutes. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate. Add broccoli to the pan and cook, stirring, until soft, about 3 minutes. Stir in tomato and transfer to a small bowl.
- Meanwhile, whisk egg, milk, scallion, salt and pepper in another bowl. When the vegetables are cooked, wipe out the skillet. Add oil and heat over medium heat. Add the egg mixture, tilting to coat the bottom of the pan. Cook, undisturbed, until set on the bottom, about 2 minutes. Using a thin, wide silicone spatula, carefully flip the egg “tortilla.” Sprinkle with cheese and cook until completely set, about 1 minute more. Transfer to a plate. Fill the lower half of the “tortilla” with the broccoli mixture and top with the bacon. Carefully roll into a “burrito.”
Sriracha, egg & avocado overnight oats
If you love avocado toast, give this savory overnight oats recipe a try. The oats soak overnight for easy “cooking.” In the morning, just top with a fried egg, avocado and Sriracha for a satisfying healthy breakfast.
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ¾ cup water
- 1 tablespoon onion
- ¼ avocado, sliced
- 2 cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 1 large egg, fried
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha
- Combine oats and water in a small bowl or jar. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Stir in onion and microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring occasionally, until heated through. Arrange in a bowl with avocado and tomatoes. Top with the egg and Sriracha.