New Year Delicacy- Coconut Fried Rice
By Patricia Uyeh
Thinking of what to cook on New’s year day? You could try coconut fried rice. It is very delicious, nutritious and easy to cook. Take a look at the ingredients needed and the steps to follow below:
-2 cups of rice
-1 cup of Coconut Cream
-1 cup water
-3 cooking spoons of coconut or vegetable oil
-1 cup mixed vegetables (frozen)
-¼ cup or less green bell pepper
-¼ cup or less red bell pepper
-1 cup mixed seafood or protein of choice
-½ medium size white onion (chopped)
-Dry pepper to taste
-Chicken seasoning to taste
-Salt to taste
Method for making Coconut Fried Rice
1. Start by washing the rice well to take out the surface starch.
2. Pour coconut milk and water into a pot, add a little seasoning cube and the rice, stir and cook slowly. ( It is actually better to do this stage a day before then leave in the fridge. This makes the rice have a better taste and coconut flavour. Also, make sure that you do not boil the rice too soft and sticky)
3. Heat very little oil in your frying pan, fry little chopped onion, and salt or seasoning cube, dry pepper and stir fry the seafood till cooked. Take out and set aside.
4. Into the same frying pan add your vegetables and also stir-fry for just 2 minutes and set aside. The vegetables should remain crunchy in the dish.
5. Next, add a little more oil to the pan, allow to heat up, add the remaining onion, seasoning and dry pepper if you wish. Fry the onion till translucent.
6. Finally add the rice and stir fry. Really this is the main step of the preparation so you have time to fry the rice. Keep on stirring and tossing until you hear some of the rice grains popping. When this happens you will notice that the rice changes from a whitish colour to translucent. Your rice is ready.
Return the seafood and vegetables to the rice pot and stir well into the rice for about 2 minutes and Voila! Your Coconut Fried Rice is ready.
Image credit: The Kitchenista Diaries