Important health benefits of beans
Beans provide myriad health benefits, and they fit into several different food groups: Although they are rich in complex carbs, as a plant-based food, they feel right at home in the vegetable group, offering an array of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, like their veggie companions.
Beans are our modern day superfood. Below are some good health benefits of beans.
* They are heart helpers: Beans are “heart healthy” because they contain an abundance of soluble fiber, which can lower cholesterol levels.
* They balance blood sugar: With a low glycemic index, beans contain a beautiful blend of complex carbohydrates and protein. Due to this, beans are digested slowly, which helps keep blood glucose stable, and may curtail fatigue and irritability.
* They cut cancer risks: Scientists recommend that adults consume 3 cups of beans per week to promote health and reduce the risk of chronic diseases, like cancer. This owes to their abundance of fiber and antioxidants.
* It aids bowel movements: Filled with fiber, beans can promote regular bowel movements thereby preventing constipation. To maximize your meal, be sure to accompany high-fiber foods with ample fluids, like water.
* Beans is versatile which means it can be incorporated with a main dish, side dish(rice&beans) or even form another food on it own….examples are moin-moin, akara etc.
Photo credit @bimmskitchen_