Harry, Meghan Markle ‘Quit’ Social Media
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, his wife, have reportedly abandoned social media and will no longer operate their accounts on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.
According to Sunday Times, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex seemed to have become disillusioned by the “hate” they encountered online and are trying to focus on their new “progressive roles” in the US.
A source close to the couple was quoted to have said that they had “no plans” to use social media to promote Archewell Foundation, a non-profit organisation they founded in 2020, and may likely not return to their personal pages.
The couple’s official royal Instagram account @sussexroyal, which has garnered more than 10 million followers, has not had any new content added since the last post shared in March 2020, while a post was last shared on their Twitter page in January 2020.
Meghan, 39, has previously spoken about being “the most trolled person in the world” on the Teenager Therapy podcast.
“I’m told that in 2019 I was the most trolled person in the entire world, male or female. Now, eight months of that I wasn’t even visible, I was on maternity leave or with a baby,” she had said.
“But what was able to just be manufactured and churned out, it’s almost unsurvivable, that’s so big, you can’t think of what that feels like, because I don’t care if you’re 15 or 25, if people are saying things about you that aren’t true, what that does to your mental and emotional health is so damaging.”
The couple signed a multi-year deal with Spotify and Netflix with plans to produce a podcast series and documentaries. The first episode of the podcast was released in December 2020.
In January 2020, they had revealed their intention to resign from their position as senior royals to further pursue their financial independence and later acquired a multimillion-dollar estate in Montecito, California, in August.
The couple tied the knot in 2018 and the union is blessed with Archie, their one-year-old son.