How to celebrate International Women’s Day
While there may be no major celebrations due to COVID-19 this International Women’s Day and month, there are always ways to honour the women in your life and culture.
This year’s theme is #ChooseToChallenge, and according to the official International Women’s Day 2021 website, “A challenged world is an alert world and from challenge comes change. So, let’s all choose to challenge. How will you help forge a gender equal world? Celebrate women’s achievement. Raise awareness against bias. Take action for equality.”
Here are five ways to celebrate the special day and m
1) Identify a woman-owned business in your neighborhood.
2) Donate to a women’s charity: There are several organizations that assist women. Making a gift seems to be an excellent way to honour International Women’s Day by taking practical steps.
3) Learn about the popular and inspiring people: Learn more about famous and inspiring women and their influence to honour them. Do a Google search or go out and buy a book on inspiring women. There are a plethora of resources available to help you learn more about amazing women.
4) Watch a movie that has a strong female lead: Who could forget Sola Sobowale’s character in “King of Boys”? Her character, Eniola Salami, showed no fear of going up against the men in her circle. There are countless other movies that also have strong female leads.
5) Make contact with the people who have influenced you throughout your life: Make a phone call, send a text, write a card, or send an email to a woman you meet who has influenced your life. Anyone who has influenced you or is setting a good example for other women may be a relative, a friend, a teacher or tutor, or a coworker.