Best cream of broccoli soup
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 8 cups broccoli florets
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- ground black pepper to taste
- Step 1: Melt 2 tablespoons butter in medium sized stock pot, and saute onion and celery until tender. Add broccoli and broth, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Step 2: Pour the soup into a blender, filling the pitcher no more than halfway full. Hold down the lid of the blender with a folded kitchen towel, and carefully start the blender, using a few quick pulses to get the soup moving before leaving it on to puree. Puree in batches until smooth and pour into a clean pot. Alternately, you can use a stick blender and puree the soup right in the cooking pot.
- Step 3: In small saucepan, over medium-heat melt 3 tablespoons butter, stir in flour and add milk. Stir until thick and bubbly, and add to soup. Season with pepper and serve.
Per Serving: 207 calories; protein 9.2g; carbohydrates 17g; fat 12.4g; cholesterol 31.9mg; sodium 528mg.