See why you should get more sunlight
Of all the health benefits of sunlight, initiating the process of producing vitamin D in the body may be the best known.
People can get vitamin D from their diet and supplements, but sunlight is an important source of this essential nutrient.
Vitamin D is necessary for key biological processes to take place in the body. Its benefits include;
- supporting healthy bones
- managing calcium levels
- reducing inflammation
- supporting the immune system and glucose metabolism
- Being in the sun generally makes people feel good
- Sunlight also supports better sleep and sets people’s circadian rhythms by regulating the levels of serotonin and melatonin.
Another importance of sunlight is that exposure to UVB rays causes human skin to produce beta-endorphins, which are hormones that reduce pain. Other benefits include;
- promoting a sensation of well-being and improving mood
- boosting the immune system
- relieving pain
- promoting relaxation
- helping wounds heal
- helping people feel more alert
- increasing, when a person’s workplace has access to sunlight
- reducing depression