Signs of Vitamin D deficiency, health effects and sources
Vitamin D is needed to keep your body functioning well.
Vitamin D helps with strong bones and may help prevent some cancers.
Signs of Vitamin D deficiency
- Bone pain.
- Muscle weakness, muscle aches, or muscle cramps.
- Mood changes, like depression.
Health effects of Vitamin D deficiency
- Heart disease and high blood pressure.
- Infections and immune system disorders.
- Falls in older people.
- Some types of cancer, such as colon, prostate and breast cancers.
- Multiple sclerosis.
Sources of Vitamin D
- Being exposed to the sun. About 15-20 minutes three days per week is usually sufficient.
- Through the foods you eat.
- Through nutritional supplements.
To get enough D, look to certain foods, supplements, and carefully planned sunlight.