7 natural foods to ease menstrual cramps
Menstrual cramps, are sharp or stabbing pains in the lower abdomen. Before and during their periods, many women experience menstrual cramps.
Some ladies may only find the discomfort irritating. Others may experience menstrual cramps that are so bad that they prevent them from going about their normal lives for a few days each month.
Here are seven foods to ease menstrual cramps:
- Ginger: Ginger has anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce inflammation and pain in the body, including menstrual cramps. Try adding fresh ginger to your meals or drinking ginger tea.
- Salmon: Salmon is rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which have been shown to help reduce inflammation and pain. Eating fatty fish like salmon a few times a week may help alleviate menstrual cramps.
- Dark chocolate: Dark chocolate contains magnesium, which can help relax the muscles and reduce cramps. Make sure to choose dark chocolate with at least 70% cocoa to get the most benefit.
- Leafy greens: Leafy greens like kale and spinach are rich in vitamins and minerals, including calcium and magnesium, which can help reduce cramps. Try adding more leafy greens to your diet during your period.
- Bananas: Bananas are a good source of potassium, which can help regulate muscle contractions and reduce cramping. Eating a banana or two during your period may help alleviate cramps.
- Turmeric: Turmeric has anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce pain and inflammation. Add turmeric to your meals or try drinking turmeric tea during your period.
- Water: Staying hydrated is important during your period, as dehydration can make cramps worse. Aim to drink at least eight glasses of water a day, and try adding lemon or cucumber for flavor.