See how to make potato puree for babies
- 3 pounds Russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- Freshly ground white pepper
- Fill a large pot with about 2 inches of water. Set steamer basket in the pot (water should not come through the holes). Bring to a boil, and then reduce to a rapid simmer.
- Add potatoes to steamer basket and steam until tender when pierced with a knife, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Simmer, whisking occasionally, until the butter is deep golden brown, 5 to 10 minutes. Place the thyme and garlic in a fine-mesh sieve lined with cheesecloth. Strain the butter over the garlic and thyme into a medium bowl, add cream, and whisk to combine.
- Remove potatoes from steamer basket. Drain, and immediately press through a medium-mesh sieve into a large bowl using a rubber spatula. Fold the cream mixture into the potatoes. Press mixture through a fine-mesh sieve. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.