How to make plantain muffins with over ripe plantain
Over ripe plantains can be used to make other delicious dishes that will make you look at it in a new light.
If you love banana muffins or banana bread, the bananas could be swapped for overripe plantain and the result is a yummy treat that will be loved by all.
- 2 Very Ripe Plantains
- 1/2 Cup Butter, melted and cooled
- 1 3/4 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground Cinnamon
- Pinch of Salt
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Essence
- In a bowl, mash the ripe Plantain with a potato masher. You don’t need to blend it because you don’t want a very smooth consistency.
- • Break and whisk eggs, then add to the mashed Plantain. Add all wet ingredients: melted butter, vanilla essence. Combine the wet ingredients.
- • In another bowl, sift flour, and add all dry ingredients: baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt. Combine the dry ingredients properly.
- • Add the wet ingredients to dry ingredients and gently fold in. Don’t mix it vigorously or for long, you only need to combine it till everything is well mixed.
- • Add butter and flour; rub the inside of a bread pan. This is to avoid the banana bread sticking to the pan.
- • Add plantain bread mixture and place in an already preheated oven for 45 minutes. You can tell it is ready when you stick a toothpick in and it comes out clean.
- Take out the plantain muffins and leave to cool for about 30 minutes before enjoying.