Christmas cookies recipe
▢225g / 1 cup unsalted butter , softened (or use salted, skip salt)
- ▢1 cup (220g) white sugar , preferably caster / superfine
- ▢1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- ▢1 large egg (55-60g / 1.9-2oz)
- ▢3 cups (450g) flour , plain / all purpose
- ▢3/4 tsp baking powder
- ▢3/4 tsp salt
- Preheat Oven to 180°C / 350°F (160°C fan). Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Beat butter and sugar in a large bowl until creamy (1 minute on speed 5)
- Add egg and vanilla, beat until completely combined.
- Add flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Start mixing slowly, then beat until the flour is incorporated – it will be clumpy.
- Dust work surface with flour, scrape dough out of bowl. Pat together then cut in half, then shape into 2 discs.
- Roll out to 0.3cm / 1/8″ (for thinner, crispier cookies) or 0.6cm / 1/4″ (for thicker, softer cookies), sprinkling with flour under and over the dough so it doesn’t stick.
- Use cookie cutters to press out shapes and use a knife or spatula to transfer shapes to prepared baking sheets. (Keep dough that doesn’t fit in the oven in the fridge).
- Bake for 10 minutes, swapping trays halfway (Note 2), until the surface is pale golden and the edges are just beginning to turn light golden.
- Allow cookies to cool completely on trays (they will finish cooking on the trays).