Perfect veggie burger recipe
See how to make homemade veggie burgers that are hearty, flavorful and full of vegetables.
BEANS AND VEGGIES:
- ▢ 250g/8oz mushrooms, sliced
- ▢ 2 tsp olive oil
- ▢ 400g / 14 oz can cannellini beans, drained (Note 1)
- ▢ 1 large carrot , grated
- ▢ 1/2 cup (70g) cashews, raw unsalted (Note 2)
- ▢ 1/2 cup (55g) panko breadcrumbs (Note 3)
- ▢ 1/2 cup (50g) grated parmesan
- ▢ 1 egg
- ▢ 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- ▢ 1 garlic clove , minced
- ▢ 1/2 tsp each paprika, salt and pepper
- ▢ 3/4 cup (150g) cooked brown rice (Note 4)
- ▢ 3/4 cup green onions , sliced
- ▢ 2 – 3 tbsp olive oil (or other)
- ▢ Soft buns, lettuce, tomato, cheese, pickles, sauces, avocado, beetroot
BEANS AND VEGGIES:
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F (standard) or 160C/320F (fan/convection).
- Pile mushrooms on a baking tray. Drizzle over oil, toss, then spread on the tray.
- Spread beans on another tray, sprinkle carrots all over.
- Put beans on top shelf and mushrooms on the shelf underneath.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until surface of beans is dried out and splitting and they look thoroughly unappetising, and the carrots around the edge of the tray are a bit golden. (Note 5) Remove tray with beans from oven.
- Move mushrooms to top shelf, bake for further 10 minutes until dried out and wrinkly. Remove from oven, cool.
- Place cashews in food processor. Blitz until they are breadcrumb size, don’t blitz to powder.
- Add beans, mushrooms and carrot. Blitz on high for 10 seconds or until chopped to large crumb size (see video and photos).
- Add breadcrumbs, egg, parmesan, garlic, paprika, mayonnaise, salt and pepper. Blitz for 15 – 30 seconds until it comes together like meat burger mixture but you can still see bits in it. (Note 6)
- Add rice and shallots, blitz for 2 seconds until just dispersed (over blitzed rice = gluey).
- Mixture should hold together well to form patties, but not stick to hands. If too wet, add breadcrumbs. If too crumbly, blitz more.
- Shape into 4 – 6 patties, between 1.5 – 1.8cm / 0.6 – 0.7″ thick and 10cm / 4″ wide (Note 7). Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
TO COOK – STOVE:
- Cook burgers cold, straight from the fridge.
- Heat 2 – 3 tbsp olive oil skillet on the stove over medium to medium-high heat.
- Add 3 – 4 patties and cook until deep golden and crispy, 4 minutes. Carefully flip then cook the other side for 4 minutes until golden, then transfer to paper towel lined plate to drain.