Recipe for traditional ofe-nsala
- 1 big Catfish
- 8 small pieces white yam
- 5 Utazi leaves
- 2 small seasoning cubes
- Small piece of ogiri okpei
- A handful crayfish
- Habanero pepper (to taste)
- Salt (if necessary)
- Add the seasoning cubes (crushed) to the pot of fish.
- Add the pieces of yam.
- Pour water to cover everything and start cooking.
- When the yam is soft and moist, bring them out and place in a mortar.
- Add the pounded crayfish, pepper, ogiri okpei and utazi into the pot of fish and continue cooking.
- Pound the cooked yam in a mortar till smooth and stretchy.
- Add the yam into the pot of Ofe Nsala in small lumps, cover and continue cooking.
- Once the yam dissolves and thickens the soup, it is done. If you achieve medium consistency before all the yam is dissolved, take out the undissolved yam because you do not want the Ofe Nsala to be too thick.
- Add salt if necessary, stir very well and that’s it!